Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Turf School Day Twenty-Four

Today was an interesting day. We have officially entered our 5th week and are starting some new classes. This morning was our first new class of the last 5 weeks. The class is called botany, but it is all about the hormones of the plant. It was very boring this morning. I think the subject matter coupled with the way the teacher spoke, it was not very exciting.
We then had our usual pest management and turf disease classes. Each class had a quiz, and I think I did satisfactory on them...I think.
In our pest management class we discussed control measures that can help keep the plant healthy, or they can lead to increased disease pressures. The class is very basic, but it is a critical thinking class and that makes it more difficult. Trying to think about the principles and how they apply to running a golf course.
The day ended with turf diseases. We discussed fairy ring, which is when a circular patch occurs usually appearing with a ring of mushrooms. We also discussed the Rhizoctonia disease complex including brown patch, yellow patch, leaf and sheath spot, and brown ring patch. It was interesting to learn about some diseases that I am familiar with. I have seen fairy ring and I think one disease was brown ring patch.

1 comment: