Monday, January 11, 2010

Turf School Day Four

Yesterday I went to Church at the East Brunswick Ward. I am excited for ward basketball and I think I am going to start attending Institute. Living with Jeff most of what we talk about school and golf courses, so it will be nice to get out and have some fun both playing bball and learning more about the Gospel.

Today we had a Communications class. I think it will be similar to MCom, but with more emphasis on the management, less on the boring english assignments and research projects. The class is focused on our managerial style and improving our style. We do have to write or improve our resumes. We also had our first Pest Management and Plant Pathology class. These two classes were taught by the same instructor. It is fun to come to a school like Rutgers where so much research is conducted and actually meet the instructors that I have heard about or read research from. Our Pest management and Plant Path. teacher is Richard Buckley and he is VERY smart. Both classes were introductory in material and not too intense. Pest Management covered material about Integrated Pest Managment or IPM. IPM is a program that focuses on the plant and how to help the plant be healthy to fight off diseases and other pests as opposed to simply dumping pesticides on the plant to alleviate problems. At bYu many of the professor refer to it as plant health care.
Our Plant Pathology was all about diseases, viruses, bacteria, nematodes, and viroids. This is the subject that I came to Rutgers to study. I am excited about the information we learned today. I am also nervous because what little disease information I learned at bYu was difficult for me to remember and most of the knowledge did not apply to turfgrass. Luckily, I think that most of the class is in the same situation and we will all be struggling together.

No comments:

Post a Comment