Monday, January 25, 2010

Turf School Day Fourteen

What a wonderful Monday! It rained today for about 7 hours (maybe more, but I was asleep), then it let up for about 45 minutes and now it has started to rain again. It makes it enjoyable to sit inside and learn.
In our turf development class we learned about the growth of turf. How the plant tolerates mowing because it grows from the soil surface, unlike trees which grow from the top. We had a quiz today and once again, I got a great grade. I now know what it must have been like for my friends to do bad on tests and quizzes. At bYu I would just shrug off my bad grades and would settle for mediocrity. Now I am trying to be the best and it makes me mad when I get problems wrong. I think if I would have understood more and cared more about the subject matter at bYu, I could have recieved really good grades.
In our pest management class we learned the fifteen tools for scouting pests. These vary from getting on you hands and knees to sending samples to scientists, but all are effective and will be useful in the future.
In our turf disease course we learned about four diseases. Red thread, Pink patch, Pink snow mold, and gray snow mold. We learned the various turf species they infect, when they are most likely to occur, and how to prevent them and treat them if they do occur. This is the subject that I wanted to learn about, so while my fellow students are complaining about this class I am enjoying it and am trying to master the material.

2 comments: