Monday, January 24, 2011

Turf School Day Fourteen

We started our day this morning with a quiz in agronomy. The quiz covered the topic we discussed last class which was the history of golf at St. Andrews in Scotland. We then had a boring lecture about fine and tall fescues. Not a very interesting topic, when it is discussed at length.
Our next class was equally captivating. We had an in depth discussion about the rules of golf and how they affect setting up a course for a tournament. We talked about why a hazard would be marked as a water hazard as opposed to a lateral hazard. It was SO exciting.
WE ended our day with a new class, Professional Development. We talked about how to get a job as a superintendent and what type of course we want to be at. I think this class is very interesting. We discussed reasons for taking a job, what qualifies or disqualifies certain candidates, and what we can do now to prepare for our future "dream job". I thought the most interesting topic discussed was about our current job and whether or not that job would prepare us for where we want to end up. This is relevant to my situation, since I am looking for a job at teh moment and need to think not only about finding a job, but finding one that will help me reach my future goals.
So I am going back to the drawing board to think and reflect on my future goals and what I need to do to reach them. I talked to Fred Harsh, from Thanksgiving Pt. about some possible people to work for, people who can help me take the next step in my career.

I hope all is well for everyone. Please update your blogs! it only takes a few minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment